Port usage fees are one of the main overhead items of ocean transportation costs. Port usage fees of some shipping companies account for more than a quarter of the total cost, second only to fuel costs and ship repair costs. Therefore, saving sea port usage fees is an issue that ocean shipping companies must pay attention to in order to reduce transportation costs. Generally speaking, the ways for shipping companies to save port usage fees can be manifested in the following aspects:
1. Sea freight companies must understand and master the charging rules of various fees and charges in various ports and the adjustment of their rates.
2. Sea freight companies should pay great attention to rationally arranging the various operations of the ship in the port and make corresponding records.
3. Correctly grasp the time of entry and exit of ships Efforts should be made to get in and out of the port during the day, because the port pilotage, tugboat, mooring and other expenses of various countries will increase surcharges at night and holidays.
4. Before the ship enters and exits the port, if possible, level the fore and aft draft of the ship as much as possible to reduce the maximum draft of the ship. Because some ports, such as the port of Japan, the pilotage fee is based on the gross tonnage of the ship and the maximum draft at the fore and aft.
5. Sea freight companies correctly declares the tonnage of the ship. Ship tonnage tax, ship port fees, lighthouse fees, etc. are all calculated based on the ship's tonnage. For ships with two or more full decks, triangular tonnage marks can be drawn on both sides, and two tonnages of different sizes can be used to replace the open-closed tonnages of the past shelter-deck ships. When the tonnage mark is submerged in the water, the shipping company should declare the large tonnage; when the tonnage mark is not submerged in the water, the shipping company should declare the small tonnage.
6. Stow goods reasonably. Strive for the simultaneous operation of all cargo tanks, and balance the loading and unloading time of each tank as much as possible to shorten the ship's time in port.
7. Sea freight companies make all preparations in time to reduce various waiting time costs.
8. Sea freight companies should carefully review and sign various charging documents to prevent undue losses.